IFR is a thinking game, and the authors emphasize ways of avoiding mental lapses that can turn simple difficulties into lethal crises:
- Making sure you’re fuel-safe when your destination is at minimums.
- Recognizing and thinking through the dangers of nighttime and circling approaches.
- Shifting strategies and tactics when the winds aloft misbehave.
- Avoiding the traps of the missed approach: before, during, and after.
- Choosing right when you’re number one for takeoff and a thunderstorm is approaching the field.
- Staying on top of equipment needs, quirks, and failures.