ASA's GPS Trainer V.2.0 — For renters who may face one brand of GPS one day and another the next...for the instructor teaching in multiple aircraft...for aircraft owners trying to master the nuances of their favorite navigational tool.
ASA has expanded the popular software product GPS Trainer, adding 3 more GPS unit tutorials for a total training package of 6 of the most popular IFR-approved and handheld GPS receivers on the market today.
Learn to use the KLN 89B/94, GNS 430/530, and GPSMAP 295, and the Apollo GX 50/60. The FAA does not mandate design, labeling, function, and operation of GPS receivers. With this lack of standardization, pilots are left to their own devices to learn each unit. Applicable to both VFR and IFR operations, all the tasks GPS can help you with are covered. Exercises are included throughout. Intuitive software is as easy to use as reading a book. Movie clips, animations, original figures and diagrams accelerate the learning process. Emulators integrate with the tutorial for hands-on practice of each task. Includes the manufacturers' simulators for the GNS 430, GNS 530, KLN 89B, and GX 50/60 (manufacturers' simulators not available or included for the GPSMAP 295 and KLN 94). PC and Mac compatible.
GPS Trainer includes a complete orientation on the GPS receivers: what each knob and button does, what information can be gleaned from each screen, how the GPS "pages" work together, etc.
The tutorial is organized into 5 sections to reflect each phase of flight: theory, preflight, enroute, terminal, and approach. All the navigation tasks are covered, including data entry, flight plans, nearest and direct-to operations, IFR departures and arrivals, GPS and overlay approaches, and more! The program features an intuitive program interface, animations, movie clips, original diagrams and figures to support the textual descriptions. Emulators are an intricate part of the tutorial, providing for interactivity and hands-on experience for each task. Read the focused step-by-step instructions for a task, watch a movie clip of the instructor performing the task, then practice it yourself, using the built-in emulators.
The manufacturers' operating manuals and simulators are included on the CD for the GNS 430, GNS 530, KLN 89B, and GX 50/60 (manufacturers' simulators not available or included for the GPSMAP 295 and KLN 94), along with FAA documents pertinent to GPS operations. GPS Trainer is a tutorial that picks up where these materials leave off and focuses on the tasks GPS can perform.
ASA - GPS Training Software Specifications:
- Version 2.0
- Weight 0.55 lbs
- System Requirements
- System Requirements: Windows and Macintosh “Classic” compatible.
- Windows compatible processor, 800 MHz or faster (Windows 2000/XP), 1.0 GHz or faster (Vista/Windows 7 & 8). 256 MB System RAM (Win2000/XP), 512 MB (Vista), 1024 MB (Win 7), 2048 MB (Win 8).
- Macintosh Classic (PowerMac G3, OS 9.2, 64 MB RAM), OS X (PowerMac G3, OS Classic mode only, 128 MB RAM). NOTE: Macintosh systems with an Intel processor or those running OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 are not supported.
- 800x600 minimum screen resolution, CD-ROM drive, mouse or other compatible pointing device. QuickTime v4 or later (included on the CD). Vista, Windows 7 & 8 systems require QuickTime v7 or later. QuickTime 7 is available as a free download via the internet
- NOTE: The manufacturer provided GPS simulators (included on the CD) are not compatible with Macintosh systems and 64bit versions of Windows (except for Apollo GX). The Garmin 430 and the KLN 89B will not run on 32bit versions of Windows 7 & 8.